To do more with your money, you’ve got to manage it well. But to do that, we have to live on less than we make. In this lesson, you’ll learn how to get control of your money. You’ll learn how to budget your income and plan for upcoming expenses. If you’re willing to do the details, you’re going to win with money.
In Student Workbook
Review these blanks with students
- Smart people have a PLAN for their money.
- Debit cards don’t tell us when our funds are getting LOW.
- Buying with CASH has an immediate consequence.
- Spend every dollar on PAPER, on PURPOSE, before the month begins.
- If you want to win with money, you’ve got to know WHERE it is at all times.
- To manage your account well, you’ve got to stay on top of your SPENDING.
Something to Remember
- Doing a budget every single month puts you in control of your money.
- Cash is powerful! Use the envelope system to manage it well.
- Understand the differences between needs and wants and you’ll make wise decisions when spending money.
DID YOU KNOW?
Americans lose nearly $30 BILLION in overdraft fees annually. That’s nearly $100 for every U.S. citizen. -Pew Research Center
SOMETHING TO LEARN (Student Workbook)
WANTS AND NEEDS LIST – List some things that you believe to be WANTS and what you believe to be NEEDS.
SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT (Student Workbook)
- When have you tried to “build a tower”, as it says in Luke 14:28-30, only to come up short? How did that experience make you feel?
- Why is it important to start your budget with giving and saving?
- What categories did your Youth Director suggest for envelopes? What other categories might work for you?
- How do you distinguish between the wants and needs in your life?