A big part of managing money is making money. That means you’ll need a job to help you pay the bills and buy the stuff you need and some of the stuff that you want. This lesson, you’ll learn about approaching your career with the big picture in mind. We’ll also tackle the details of building a resume and preparing for an interview so you can go to work.
In Student Workbook
DISCOVERING YOUR PURPOSE
- Don’t wait.
- Don’t listen to people who tell you what you can’t be.
- Ask: What gives me the most JOY?
CHOOSING YOUR CAREER
- Experiment-take a class
- Do an INTERNSHIP in that industry.
- Interview someone who majored in that.
- Start broad and narrow as you go.
- Don’t be afraid to CHANGE majors.
SETTING GOALS FOR SUCCESS
- Set SMALL finish lines.
- Get some accountability.
- Eliminate distractions.
FINDING A MENTOR
- Ask: Would I want to end up like them?
- Start with COFFEE.
- Use the team approach.
- Be flexible.
- Pick someone who will PUSH you.
Something to Remember
- Now is the time to begin looking for your purpose.
- You don’t have to figure everything out today.
- You don’t have to go through life alone. Surround yourself with mentors!
DID YOU KNOW?
Thirty to forty percent of college students drop out before they earn a degree. -College Student Journal, 2010
SOMETHING TO LEARN (Student Workbook)
Following God has it’s benefits! Read Psalm 103:1-5. In the first column, list the benefits David mentions in those verses. In the second column, list some additional benefits you have experienced because of your personal life.
How can understanding God’s benefits help you discover your purpose?
SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT (Student Workbook)
- Read Colossians 3:23-24. How could “working for Jesus” change the way your approach a job search? How would it change the way you work?
- What really brings you joy? How do you think that fits into your God-given purpose?
- What’s a big goal you have for your life? How can you break that goal down into some “smaller finish lines”?
- Who serves as a mentor to you? Who else could you ask to fill that role in various areas of your life?